Eric "Soyung" Scukanec Memorial Thread

Discussion in 'Public Discussion' started by Terra, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Terra

Terra Administrator
    Officer

On February 1st, 2020, we lost a long time member, friend, brother, and teammate in Eric "Soyung" Scukanec. He passed away at the young age of 34. Many of us knew him as Soyung the mage, or possibly Passit the hunter back in the day, but no matter which name/character he went by, he was the best of us. During my 3+ years of knowing him, he always exemplified what it meant to be a good person everyday, all day.

I've never seen him turn away people in need. I can't count the amount of times I spoke with him about my shortcomings or just bouncing ideas off of him because of how smart he was. He always came through for the guild. Whether its something in game or external, he always helped out with a smile. Many of you already know the work he put in to make this guild in to a success. We talked for hours everyday. There were nights where we only talked about our cats for hours at a time. He was a fun loving person who always laughed at my awful puns. He was taken from us too soon. Just... so.. young. That pun always made him laugh out loudly and I'm devastated I'll never hear that laughter again.

I can't put in to words how much I miss him. He will be in my thoughts for the rest of my days, as he would have done the same for me.
    [​IMG]
    Rest In Peace
    Eric Alan Scukanec 1985 - 2020

I would like to use this thread as a memorial for our beloved friend. If you have memories or clips you'd like to share, please comment below. Let's celebrate Eric's life. He made us laugh countless times over the years. I know he would want us to remember the good times.

P.S. We've talked internally about getting a gift of sort for the surviving family and/or loved ones. If you'd like to contribute or have any additional ideas, please message me.

#1 Terra, Feb 8, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  2. Unsu

Friend

He exemplified work ethic and sacrifice. His dedication, attitude, and willingness to improve himself and others without hesitation, question, or attitude was admirable. He was someone who inspired me daily and made me want to come back day after day when things were tough. I and others aspired to have his outlook, tolerance, and ability to distill and fix problems without malice. We should all aspire to be more like him. He was never too busy to help, never complained, and no task/inconvenience was too big an ask... He'll be missed. Too soon.

My regret is that I never said any of this candidly, directly to him. I hope my admiration and respect was apparent when he was with us by deed. He truly was the best of us.

#2 Unsu, Feb 8, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  3. Senketsoo

Friend

Rest in peace buddy. I'll appreciate the moments we had in M+. He was a great teacher, worked with me to learn the tricks of the trade on how not to suck on a mage. From cracking jokes in raid to giving feedback for the ranged group, I'm glad he was part of the guild. You'll be remembered always.

4. Axeo

Raider

I loved hearing Soyung's voice. He was certainly one of the types that made this house a home, as he was willing to help anyone be them a longtime member, fresh recruit, or old time friend. His sense of humor was incredible too, and I am thankful I had some footage saved from BoD still.

His laugh was always a treat, and I'm lucky my dumb jokes got him to laugh every so often. We'll miss you buddy, just like the auctioneers are gonna miss Soblack.

5. Mechamoose

Raider

I'm not great at things like this, but, Soyung was always a guy I felt I could look up to and rely on. He was always so consistent, he knew what was going on, and he'd always offer to help. Back when I used to wait to mondays to do keys, he'd always offer to go even though he had already completed his. He was someone who was fun to just joke and shoot the shit with in discord. He was just always willing. I remember when a friend of mine was coming back to the game to play Mage, I asked Soyung if he wouldn't mind giving her some pointers, and he reviewed logs and just seemed to genuinely want to help... even someone who he had never met.

When I first joined the guild back in Tomb of Sargeras he was one of the reasons I felt so welcome. It's always hard joining a new guild when you only know a few folks, but Soyung was probably one of the first folks I started to really become friends with.

A good person gone too soon. Thank you so much for playing with me for these few years.

6. Boots

Role Officer

I don't know if a lot of you know this but Soyung went through the effort of making an ERT note webapp for me and the other officers to use. It was purely a convenience and a quality of life thing for me to make notes outside of the game while I am at work. I worked really closely with him about a week before hearing the news and he did everything he could to make it perfect for me, even though I trolled him a little asking for a white text option.

One of the most fun and enjoyable people to play with in the guild. I will truly miss him.

#6 Boots, Feb 8, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  7. Xellious

Friend

Soyung was one of my best friends in the guild. Always game to goof around and talk shit back and forth, or just hang out and rant about things going on. Kept talking about making the trip over to ATL to get some beers and troll Terra the whole time, but just never ended up making it happen.

First night I raided with the guild back in Uldir I was put in the Vectus group with Soyung, Lionkingbtw, and Darkenedlife. Never played with the guys before, but we ended up having great synergy right away. That was one of the better times I had in the guild, just playing well and bantering with my buds (fuck off, Lion).

After we got to Azshara and I had to step away from the game because of in game and out of game things just not being healthy for me, Soyung was the only one who had no idea what was going on and reached out to make sure I was all good. That's who he was, and this fucking sucks to write up.

Always going to regret not getting those beers now. Rest in peace, buddy.

8. Darkenedlife

Although I am not super active anymore in Astral Soyung and I continued to talk in the other games that we played, mainly PoE. I would always bounce builds off of him and ask him what he was playing and all in all we would always learn from each other about that game more and more while playing.Raided with him for a very long time and he was one of the few players that I always looked forward to talking to or just bouncing Ideas about boss mechanics off of because he would always manage to shed light on something I missed.

My favorite encounter with Soyung was on Argus in legion. I would be standing in the middle of no where and need to group down for the stack mechanic but without a doubt the only other guy out in the middle of no where with me was Soyung so we never had to group down because the two of us just stood out in Africa together so we wouldn't lose dps running in.

All around a great player and great person, truly a sad day for everyone that got to know him as he always managed to brighten the day.

9. Vsper

Friend

Truly devastated about this news. Soyung was a good friend of mine. When I stopped raiding he made sure to reach out to me every now and then to see how I'm doing and I always really appreciated that he did that. I wish I could've told him how much that meant to me. He always knew how to brighten up people's days or to lighten the mood. He was a great person. You will be missed, rest in peace Eric.

10. Toastyhealz

Raider

When I had first joined the guild I was super nervous since this had been the first guild I had ever really trialed with, the rest of my guilds I knew most of the people, but this was a new experience for me. Soyung was one of the first people to talk with me outside of raid, and he made me so much more comfortable with the new environment.

We did all the 8.3 content together as soon as the patch went live and would always have a blast playing the game with him. Anything that I needed in-game, he would help me out with, especially with keys even though I handicapped the group as disc sometimes.

Going to miss you a ton man.

11. Creampuff

Friend

I was hit much harder than I ever expected from hearing news like this. It's just so hard to believe. Losing a friend is never easy, but this one is just so damn hard. It's been well over a year since I last played with Soyung, and yet it still feels like yesterday I was running Mythic + and raiding with him. He was a guy that I truly enjoy just hanging out with, regardless of what we were doing. He was everything you could possibly want in a teammate and friend. A great player and an even better person - Soyung is truly the best of us.

You will be deeply missed. I love you, brother.

12. Korruption

Friend

Being around only a year or so, my interactions with Soyung were very limited. From the brief moments I was able to be a part of, he was always a genuine person; a character trait not easily found in most people.

I wish I had taken the time to get to know him more, but with this tragedy there is always a bright side. For me my takeaway is to take more time to get to know the other members of this guild, and to open my life up to those that are here. Knowing how much of a genuine and unique individual he was, I'm going to attempt to honor him by being more than just a name on the forums, or a name in green chat in guild. I'd like to really start making those connections like he did.

I'm glad to see he made such a positive impact on those people still here, both present and past. It truly is a testament to him and what he meant. Rest in Peace

13. Stogie

If I had to use one word to describe Soyung, it would be reliable. You could always count on him for anything, be it in game or out of game. If there was some pivotal boss mechanic that needed to be handled, you could rely on Soyung to take care of it. If you were having a rough day and just needed a friend to shoot the shit with, all you had to do was hit Soyung up. His laugh was intoxicating and his humor was spot on. Even though we went our separate ways in WoW, I still chatted with him often. It's devastating to think that I will never get another random Bnet or discord message from him that would spiral into some comical back and forth that would brighten up my day. He was a great friend and I will miss him terribly. Rest in peace buddy.

14. Illegalsaur

Friend

When I first heard the news I was pretty taken back by it and didn’t want to believe it was real as Soyung was one of the good ones. Over the last couple of years I’ve watched many people come and go from the guild but one of the few pillars of Astral I would say was Soyung. He would always help with anything if needed and was always friendly from day 1 to the new people when they joined. That just speaks to the character and good person he was.

One of the things I enjoyed the most about him was he was one of the older players in the guild so when he would bust out a random older tv quote and the younger people are just like wtf did he just say I’m sitting here in my chair cackling to myself over it. He could be serious when he needed to be but also knew when to crack a joke to make everyone laugh to lighten the mood during a raid.

We bonded over our love of being collectors in this game so be it pet battles or some random dumb achievement we would always give each other tips and hints on how to get something easier. He was one of the few people I managed to stay in touch with from the guild after switching from alliance to horde and I regret not talking to him more now that he is gone.

I’ll miss him tons. Rest easy my friend.

15. Stogie

The following is from a former guild mate that knew Soyung for a long time. He has asked me to post this here for him.

I came to know Pazzit when he joined the guild I was in “a little too Raph” on Stormreaver in mid to late Warlords of Draenor. He came in with a confident attitude, a depth of knowledge, and a sense of humor that served to immediately ingratiate him with the core raiders at the time. His new status in the guild and his willingness to do the hard thing quickly earned him the title of “The Yung Pazzit” and whenever he would die while kiting on Socrethar or soaking a black hole on Xhul’horac, I would exclaim that he was, “So Yung, So Yung…”, never in a thousand lifetimes did I think those words would come to pass.

Pazzit remained one of my closest friends on WoW into legion and beyond, and was my closest confidant when I tried my own hand at raid leading in Nighthold. He was a blunt voice of realism, and a welcome dose of levity in times where the raid’s parses seemed like the most important thing in the world. He was the one who had the most responsibility on fights like Gul’dan, or the one who lead by example when we didn’t live up to the hype. When we parted ways before the Tomb of Sargeras, I endeavored to keep him with me, but the guild I went to didn’t have space for him. We kept in touch, but never as much as I liked, and now my regret is all I have left. That, and the memories.

He was my friend, and I will miss him. -Rycore

16. Kya

Kya
    Raider

Unfortunately I didn't have much interaction with Soyung as I am fairly new to the guild.
    That being said he was the first person in the guild to help me out with 8.3 stuff. As I was trying to get some expulsom for a new crafting profession he loaded me up with over 600 cloth bracers from cloth he stockpiled at next to nothing in return!
    From the way it sounds and the interactions I missed out on getting to know a great individual. This is a horrible thing to hear and he will be missed.

17. Broccolifarm

Friend

I've been back and forth on what to post here. I cant say enough good things about Soyung. The most reliable and caring person I've met in a long time playing video games. It didn't matter what you needed, He would be the first one to message you and help you out in anyway he could
    Will be truly missed and such a shame to have lost him so early.

Rest in peace friend

18. Graysoup

Friend

I’ve only ever had positive interactions with Soyung. Whenever I’d talk to him over discord, he just had a way of cheering people up. After learning about my favorite Pokémon, he later sent me a picture of the Cyndaquil he had gone out of his way to catch on Pokémon go. If I ever asked him for help, he would always do his best to lend a helping hand or suggest an alternative solution. He would often volunteer to fill a mythic plus group before reset, or help find answers to questions I or others had. I treasured my time raiding in Antorus and Soyung was there throughout all of it. Thank you for being the kind soul that you were.

19. Hothgor

Friend

I've been watching this thread since yesterday, alternating from smiling to crying as I do so. A suddenly loss like this is devastating to those who are his friends. You never expect to get news like this, and I can only imagine the heartbreak his family must be feeling if his friends are feeling this bad as it is.

He was always around when I needed help, and like me, he was an obsessive completionist: we both loved finishing off difficult, annoying or rare achievements, collecting toys mounts and pets, and generally trying to improve our characters to their maximum potential. More than that, he was a constant source of entertainment on discord coms with an infectious laugh, and a good friend who was always willing to help out with whatever I or anyone else needed.

Honestly, I don't know what I am going to do. We spoke constantly on discord, in game, and over bnet, and his absence has been keenly felt since his passing. Eric, you will be deeply missed.

20. Faithsin

Raider

Soyung was always the person I would go to for any advice Mage or Auction House related, and eventually we ended up talking about more real-life related things like what it's like to work from home and how he is able to keep things organized. I will always cherish the wisdom he provided to me as it applied to my life, and I will always smile whenever I remember any of the numerous jokes he would make during raids or off hours.

Eric was a friend to me and so many others in this guild, and his passing weighs heavy on me as I'm sure it does for many who knew him. Rest in peace my friend, you were one of the best of us, and your absence will not be forgotten any time soon.